Sunday, March 4, 2012

wonders never cease

In my travels around the internet, I often come across websites that promise various things. From "ultimate deals" to "becoming a millionaire in 30 days" it's just amazing all the wonders you can achieve just by clicking your mouse...  However, occasionally I do find something that, even if it doesn't work miracles, is actually a helpful, useful tool.
One such tool that I use on a daily basis is Thesaurus . There's a tab on the site for Dictionary as well. They have a daily word, quotes, games... Anyone who is interested at all in words, or even simply needs a synonym or definition quickly, there you go. Bookmark it, use it.


Onward we go. Next Chapter.

*****************************************





Chapter 4


                *********





                There were so many questions in my mind, not the least of which was, how did they evade the security systems? And, why did I not sense their minds? And, most immediately for me at the moment, what is that horrid smell?


                The cloth over my eyes, the arm around my torso, the soft body I was forced to lean against, they felt Human. And yet, there were no feelings being directed at me, at least not from him. The only feelings I could sense, with some great effort, came from the Captain. He was alive, and nearby, that much was apparent. I attempted to reach out to him, but the only result was more sharp pains in my head. It was impossible to determine whether it was my pain or his at that point. Everything seemed to meld together in a blurry cloud.


                The musty, acrid smell assaulting my senses was completely unfamiliar. As the bright light disappeared, I was certain that we were no longer aboard the Draco. Once more I wondered how our updated systems had been overcome. There was really only one way that could be possible, and it was too awful to contemplate.


                The cloth was removed from my mouth, and from my eyes. But that did not increase my comfort at all, as the man merely moved his hand to my arm so that I was pinned even more securely against his body. I felt as the blood began to flow once more from my lip when the cloth was so roughly pulled out. As my eyes cleared, I looked around to see that the room we were in was unremarkable. Plain, featureless walls, a row of lights along the edges of the ceiling. The Captain was indeed nearby, slumped on the hard floor, wrists bound together in his lap. Thankfully, he was merely unconscious, breathing steadily, though how he got that way was a mystery.




                Finally, I did sense the immediate presence of that person I had known was behind the attack. That rat-like face, the pursed lips, the shapeless body were images from a nightmare, but one that I couldn’t possibly have forgotten. The fact that I had not actually sensed his presence previously I attributed to my shock and perhaps to whatever drug was in that cloth, there was no other explanation. In my somewhat befuddled state, I did wonder again how he had convinced a beautiful talented Doctor such as Amy Morris to date him, much less marry him. A stray thought, that, but it did help me to focus.


                “Mr. Knowles.”


                “Doctor Thorne. What a pleasure. So nice of you to come for a visit.” His voice grated on my ears.


                Knowing it would do no good, I still struggled against the strong hands gripping my arms.


                “What do you want from me? I have nothing you need. Unless you have stolen some other planet’s lifeline?”


                He stepped closer, smirking as I tried to back away. “My very dear Doctor. You have been living your pleasant, comfortable life while the rest of us have been out in the Universe taking care of business.” His face was just a few inches from mine. “You really must get out more... Oh dear. What is this?”


                He tilted his greasy head and gazed intently at my face. Then, to my utter disgust, he reached over with a dirty finger and touched it to my lip where it was cut. Cringing away as best I could, resisting the urge to bite down on the finger, I felt his amusement, his enjoyment of his position of power. He took my chin in his hand, still gazing at me. Gritting my teeth, I returned his stare. What I did not do was reach into his mind. I didn’t want to know what was in there other than what he was showing me.


                From hard experience, I had learned that there were some few Sympaths, Peter Knowles among them, who used their abilities to overcome the wills and senses of others. There was nothing I wanted to feel from this man. He would not be able to overwhelm me, but he would be able to confuse me. And he could certainly hurt me by hurting my Captain.


                “You are a strong one, Doctor Thorne. May I call you Liz? You passed my little test last night with flying colors. But then I knew you would.”


                “What is it you want? Why are we here, and for that matter, where is here?” Though I thought I already knew the answer to that. The only place we could be was on the Agrint ship. That might explain the smell.


                “We are here, dear Liz, because there has been an event of immense import to all of us. All Humans, that is. The fact that my Agrint friends have a grudge against your Federation is a convenient bonus for me. Don’t you think?”


                Convenient, indeed. Reptilians are immune to Sympath abilities, at least we have always been taught so. If Knowles could not influence their emotions, assuming they have any, they would have to assist him for their own reasons. Once again I was struck by the mere fact that there were people in this Universe who do not have any concern for anything other than their own needs and desires.


                Knowles was smiling at me, a disturbing, self-satisfied smile. I cringed again as he ran his finger down my neck and over my shoulder, enthralled by the motion of the vines as they swirled in response. Breaking his gaze away, he nodded to the man holding me, and motioned to his left. The man, still not emitting any emotions at all, tightened his grip on my arms as he turned and dragged me with him toward an exit I hadn’t noticed.


                “My friend here will show you to your quarters, dear Liz. Please make yourself at home.” His laugh followed as my guard pulled me out the door.


                “Wait! What about...?” Then I felt it. My Captain was trying to speak to me.


                “Do not fight them, Elizabeth. We need to find out what they want. Do not fear for me, they still need both of us.” There was a kiss behind those courageous words, and I felt a bit of his warmth come over me and I allowed myself to be led away without further comment.


                That only lasted, however, until I saw where I was being taken. The dank passageway was oppressive with its slick walls and metal grated floor. Our footsteps echoed slightly, but were quickly swallowed by the gloom. It seemed that the Agrints were not at all interested in aesthetics, especially on what was most likely a prison level. I had seen nothing so far to indicate that this craft was occupied by beings at least as intelligent as Humans, if not more so. And when I laid eyes on my accommodations, I couldn’t help but voice my thoughts.


                “Is this what he thinks of me, really? This is not going to make me want to help him, you know.”


                The room, or rather the cell, was tiny, perhaps three meters square. The walls looked slimy, as though coated in some sort of grease. The single small light hanging from the ceiling barely lit the bed, or what I assumed was meant to be a bed. There was a bench, running the length of one wall, with a thin cushion and a small pillow. I was thrust into the cell with such force that I fell to my knees. There was no reaction whatsoever from the man behind me, not even amusement at my discomfort. Turning back to my captor, I looked at him in horror, finally allowing myself to see him for what he was.


                He was blank, absolutely blank. He had not been converted to a cause, he had not been “brainwashed”. His mind had been overwhelmed, short-circuited, wiped clean of any self-awareness. I felt sick. Even knowing that such a thing was possible, I had never expected to see it. My revulsion and yes, hatred for Peter Knowles and his like rose to almost physically sickening levels.


                The levels increased dramatically when the man followed me into the room. Moving back as far as I could without actually touching the wall, I tried to reach him, futile though I knew that exercise to be. But he merely bent down and reached under the bench, to pull out a small package. He thrust it at me, making a circling motion with his fingers. I shook my head, purposely not understanding, not wanting to understand what he was asking me to do. However, when he reached into his uniform pocket and pulled out a rather nasty-looking bladed weapon, there was no choice but to go along. The lack of emotional content so unnerving, the calm, uncaring stare and the matter-of-fact way he held that knife all meant the same thing for me.


                Taking a deep breath, telling myself that this man had no feelings, that he couldn’t and wouldn’t take advantage of the situation, I took the package and opened it. As I had feared, it was clothing for me. Or more accurately, it was something like a thin, rough nightshirt. I looked at the man once again, but there was absolutely no response. He merely stared at me, waiting, the blade of his weapon reflecting the dim light of the single bulb in the ceiling. Another deep breath, then I began to pull off my clothes, shirt, trousers, everything. The man simply watched me impassively, no change in his expression as I stood there, naked. After motioning to me to remove my hairband and my jewelry, he picked up the clothing from the floor, and nodded to me to slip on the nightshirt. My eyes went to the light fixture, as I knew perfectly well that my captor would not have wasted this opportunity. He would be watching, his beady eyes glued to whatever monitor he was using, wherever he was. There was no feeling of a response, however, which surprised me.


                As I pulled the shirt over my head, I thought I felt a wisp of something, something from a distance, but then it was gone. Reaching out once more to my Captain, trying not to share my frustration but only my comfort, I sensed that he was in a similar situation. Though he was trying to keep it from me, there was pain in him, but I couldn’t tell if was physical pain.


                When I had covered myself, barely, with the scratchy, loosely woven fabric, the man stepped back, and put his hand on the bars of the door to close it. I reached out a hand to him automatically, wanting to help him, wanting to help myself. He looked back at me calmly and swung the door shut with a loud clang. I was alone, in the cell with the bars over the doorway.


               


                The next hours went by very slowly. Left to myself with no way to know what was happening elsewhere on the ship, I had little to occupy my mind. There were apparently few other Humans aboard, and their emotions were steady, confident, there was nothing for me to focus on. I alternated between pacing the small floor and attempting a few yoga poses to calm myself.. Someone would be keeping an eye, or two, on me at all times. So I couldn’t allow myself to become upset or in any way show Knowles that he was getting to me. All I could do was try to pass the time, and every so often reach out to my Captain, wherever he was.


                Sometime during my hours in that tiny room there was a sort of uproar. There was no way to tell exactly where it came from, but as intently as my receptors were extended, I could tell that there was trouble aboard.  Strangely, I did not feel anything from Knowles himself. He was not trying to reach me, he was not trying to get into my mind again. What I did feel, however, was someone else calling to me. Very faint, weak, but definitely calling to me. It gave me something to focus on, something to give me hope that we were not alone.


                I was startled out of my reverie by the arrival of one of Knowles’ associates. Reptilian, three meters tall, his clawed fingers spread wide as he approached my cell door. Agrints are not known for their winning personalities, they can be as brutish as they look. I tried to meet his unreadable gaze as he grasped the bars and stared down at me.


                “Back away from the door.” His voice, as ferocious and snarling as one would expect, echoed in the chamber.


                He waited for me to step back, and then pulled the door open. I stepped back further as he entered, but quickly came up against the grimy wall. Breathing hard, I waited as he came closer, his scaly skin giving off a rancid odor that threatened to choke me. His clawed hands, either one of which could have torn me in half, reached out toward me as I cringed. One finger, surprisingly gentle, ran over my hair, and down my face, hesitating on my lip where the blood had congealed. He tilted his head on his thick neck and snorted into my face. As his startlingly intelligent black eyes moved over me, he caught sight of my left arm. He started to move his hand down to touch it, but stopped. I almost thought I felt some surprise, almost thought I felt something like awe, but then it was gone.


                Suddenly, decisively, he grabbed me, picking me up like a child in his massive arms. Swinging me around, grasping me tightly, claws digging into my side, he made his way back to the door and out into the corridor. Reptilians do not normally react to Sympaths, nor the other way around. I had no idea what was happening or what this Agrint’s role was. All I could hope for was to be taken to where the Captain was.


                The Agrint carried me down the dimly lit corridor, the dreary walls feeling as though they were falling in on me. He kept a tight but gentle grip on me, cradling me against his massive chest, one huge hand and arm under my legs, the other around my waist. The weak sensations of my Captain’s warmth grew stronger as we traversed the ship. We rounded a corner, and came upon another cell, very like the one I had been in. The bars across the doorway looked as though they had been burnt at some time in the past, there were rust stains and shavings on the floor. There was another Agrint, even larger than my own bearer, uniformed, expressionless, waiting in the corridor, watching as we arrived.


                Silently, the guard reached into a pouch at his waist, and pulled out a large key. The key went into the door lock, which protested loudly when it was turned. I could feel my Captain, waiting for me, reaching out to me, letting me know he was all right. It was a difficult feat for me to remain quiet, I wanted to cry out to him. But all I did was send him my reassurance, my warmth.


                My Agrint guard set me down, more carefully than I would have thought possible, and laid his heavy hands on my shoulders. The floor was cold under my bare feet, but I didn’t dare move.


                “Stay still.” The booming voice echoed in the stark corridor.


                There was movement inside the cell, and my Captain came into view, finally. His eyes were glazed, his handsome face pale and sunken. They had taken his uniform, and left him in what looked like pajama shorts, of a similar fabric to my current attire. My skin flushed, my mind seethed with anger as I saw the dark bruises on his chest and legs. Disregarding the danger, I struggled against the iron grip of the Agrint, trying to get to my husband. The claws on my shoulders suddenly let go, and I almost fell forward in surprise. Collecting myself, not stopping to wonder why I was being released, I ran over to my Captain, stopping short as his pain, his weakness washed over me. He reached out a hand and drew me to him, pulling me close as his arms wrapped around me. Ignoring our audience, we stood together, drawing strength from each other. My hands on his chest, feeling his rasping breath as he accepted my warmth. His hands on my back, clenched fists gripping the rough fabric of my shirt.


                “What happened, Paolo? What did they do to you?”


                “Later, Elizabeth.” His arms tightened around my waist, his strength was returning. “There is much we were not aware of. We need to get out of here.”


                He let go of me and lifted his head to look at the Agrints, still waiting calmly in the corridor. Expressionless as always, they both gazed back at us for a moment. But that did not last long, as they came into the cell, overwhelming the tiny space. The one who had brought me there stepped up to me and held out his hand. The other took hold of the Captain’s arm, and I gasped as I felt his burst of pain from the fresh bruise. The Captain was led, or rather dragged, out into the corridor, but my own guard simply stood and waited.


                “What?” I shook my head. “What do you want from us?”


                “You must come with us. Now. You will not be harmed.”


                He kept his hand out, claws retracted. I hadn’t known they could do that, but then, we didn’t have much up-close experience with Agrints. His towering presence, hovering over me, seemed so intimidating and yet so vulnerable. Vulnerable? Where did that come from? It occurred to me that just as Humans are, for the greater part, simply living their lives in the best way they can, not bothering others, not wanting to interfere with other cultures, perhaps we had misjudged the Agrints. Perhaps they too had a small subculture of thieves and mercenaries, armed thugs and criminals, who had unfortunately become the spokespeople for their entire race. All I had ever learned about the Agrint culture was that they had lost their home planet to a devastating war, and that from then on had sought to take over the worlds of other races by any means possible. My personal dealings with them had been with a group of warriors and their allies, trying to take over one of the Federation’s Colonies for their own dark purposes. However, that did not mean that all Agrints were violent, vicious criminals. I wondered that this had not occurred to any of the Federation officials before. Or had it? Why would they want all Humans to think that all Agrints were out to take us over or kill us?


                For the moment, I was just hoping that some of this was true, that not all Agrints wanted to kill all Humans. The rest could wait until the Captain and I had gotten off this ship. Which brought me back to my current situation. How we were to get away was still not clear, at least to me, but there would most likely be no help for us if we did not help ourselves. Decision made, I put my shoulders back, took in a deep breath, and laid my right hand in the huge paw still waiting, upturned. The surprisingly warm and gentle fingers closed around my hand, and ever so slightly tugged, directing me to the doorway.


                What a sight we must have been, walking down the corridor. The monstrous, grey-green scaly reptilian, with his armored uniform and the heavy laser weapon slung on his back, and the small, medium-brown Human woman, barely covered in flimsy fabric, with bare feet and no weapon, holding hands as we followed the other guard. Taking my guard’s example, the other was just barely holding the Captain’s arm. But his claws were out, and his other hand held his weapon at the ready.


                I could not feel anything anymore, no emotions from any Humans on board other than the Captain’s as he continued to build his strength. However, there was another weak tickle of emotions coming to me from a great distance, as it seemed. Hoping that I was reading it right, I had to try to hide my renewed sense of positive anticipation. It seemed a long journey, down one corridor, around a corner and down another, to a lift that was barely large enough to contain all four of us. By the time the lift door slid open, creaking, I could barely breathe from being squashed between the two Agrints. But I forgot about myself as I looked around, at what must have been the Bridge of their ship. The distant sensations grew ever stronger, and at last I could allow myself to believe. There was still no way to know how much time had passed. Even had we known which of the various indicators we saw were timepieces, we would not have been able to read them.


                There were flashing lights from the terminals along the back wall, casting strange shadows on the faces of the Agrint officers. The main viewscreen covered the entire front of the room, showing a beautiful view of the Space around us. And off to the side, just coming into view, was the Draco. Her organic cylindrical shape is so beautiful. It might not be to everyone but she is our home, our friend. She looked unharmed to my untrained eye, but of course I had no idea how far away she was. There was no scale, nothing to tell me distances. But the Captain, as soon as he caught sight of her, was overcome with anger. He broke away from his guard and took a step toward the screen. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw the guard hold up his hand, to stop the others from coming closer.


                Through gritted teeth, trying to control his temper, the Captain said, slowly, “What is going on here? Where is Peter Knowles, is he not in charge of this mission?” He was baiting them, trying to get them to give us a clue, perhaps give us an idea of how we could escape. It was all I could do to give him some sort of reassurance that our people were all right and coming for us.


                The largest Agrint yet, one that I had not noticed until just then, stood up from his seat in the center of the room. His uniform was actually clean and pressed, his armor shiny, his claws polished and sharp. There was something that caught my eyes about his uniform, but it escaped me as he began to speak.


                “Mr. Knowles is no longer on my ship. We have found his ideas to be distasteful, and we will not have any further dealings with him. You will be returned to your Ship.” His voice was clear, his manner self-assured, this was the ship’s Captain, or the Agrint equivalent.


                My mouth dropped open. My Captain hesitated, his mind in sudden turmoil. This was unprecedented. There had not been another example of Humans aboard an Agrint ship to compare to, save one. Everything we had ever been told had led us to believe that we would not come out of this situation alive without some bloodshed, probably on both sides. My Captain, when he had been abducted by the rebel Agrints, had just barely escaped, with the help of his entire Crew.


                The officer at the station nearest me was tapping keys and watching his screen. When he turned and nodded to his Captain, the large viewscreen changed to a view of our Bridge, the Bridge of the Draco. Commander Walker was standing there, his face showing the tension he had been feeling for the past day. My instinctual reassurances were received, I could see on the Commander’s face that he knew. The huge grey-green scaly hand still holding mine suddenly tightened its grip, as though telling me to be silent. Another item to file away, something else I needed to research. How did he know that I was wanting to speak? Or was it simply a reflex?


                The other guard had stepped up beside my Captain as he stood just to the side of the viewscreen. The claws were still out, at the ready.  We all turned to the Agrint Captain, waiting for his next move. He did not get a chance to speak first, Commander Walker beat him to it.


                “Agrint ship. I am Commander David Walker, second in command of the Starship Draco. We have detected our Captain and his wife aboard your ship. As you are aware, this will be considered an act of war if they are not returned immediately, and in perfect health.”


                The Agrint Captain lifted his huge hand and calmly answered, “Commander, we plan to return your Captain and your Doctor as soon as we are back in range. Unless you care to send one of your Shuttles? Unfortunately, our last one was sent on a long-term mission just a short time ago.”


                “Let me see them, then I will decide.”


                I was pushed into view by my guard, as my Captain was thrust forward by his. The gasps of our Crew were audible, their shock coming over me like a dash of cold water as they saw our dirty, scantily clothed selves.


                “Commander, do not do anything that will endanger my Ship, if you please. We are all right, unhurt.” My Captain looked down at himself, almost as if he hadn’t been aware of his appearance. He smiled, and took a step back toward me, reaching out his hand. “As you can see.”


                “Aye, Sir, as you wish. We will await your arrival, then.” The Commander signed off, still looking and feeling a bit uncertain, but loyal and obedient  as always.


                We were permitted to sit together, on the floor of their Bridge, as the ship continued its slow way back toward the Draco. Holding hands, we leaned against each other, trying to ignore the stony reptilian stares directed at us. I curled into my Captain’s embrace, as close to him as I could get, and shared as much of my warmth and strength as I had left to share. He was so cold, so weak, but I was the only one who knew that. He wouldn’t have shown his weakened condition to these Agrints, not as long as he had enough strength to sit up straight.


                Even being so exhausted, there was no chance of my falling asleep, not in that room full of Agrints watching us. So I passed the time by looking around at the officers, and the various furnishings. The terminals looked very much like ours, though the symbols were gibberish to me. The crew going about their business could have been anyone, on any ship. But there was something else nagging at my mind, something that had caught my attention when we first arrived.


                Suddenly it hit me, and I grabbed the Captain’s arm.


                “Look there, Paolo. On the central console. That symbol. Does that look familiar to you?”


                He turned his head to where I was pointing. His eyes widened, his hand tightened its grip on mine.


                “It does indeed, Elizabeth. I cannot think what it means. But it seems that we and the Agrints have more in common than we ever imagined. And it would explain a great deal about how we are being treated, this time.”





                A few minutes later, we arrived in the vicinity of the Draco, close enough for Transport. As we stood in preparation, my Agrint guard pressed something into my hand. A data disk. And my golden bracelet. I looked up at him, smiling my thanks. As we were enveloped in the bright whiteness of their Transport, I glanced down at the disk, noting the circle of many-leaved vines embossed into the metal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Floor Is Open!