Wednesday, March 21, 2012

many thanks

My real-life family is a constant and consistent inspiration and support system. I don't thank them enough for their contributions to my sanity as well as my work. Thank you, family!
However, today I would also like to put out a big "Thank You" to my otherfamily. These are people I spend a great deal of time with, although we may never meet in person. My virtual boyfriends, my invisible girlfriends - my WoW family. It still amazes me, even after over 2.5 years of "playing", that one can become so very attached to a group of people that one has never seen. It's crazy.
Many thanks to Wrynns Raiders, my guildies who take care of each other, confide in one another, make that pretend world a pleasant one. Perhaps someday we can arrange a meetup - Vegas would be fun...
:) And most special thanks to you, my men of Unified, you crazy kids who give me something to look forward to each week. You all make me laugh on a regular basis in a time where I really need that. It is a wondrous thing to be part of a team who work together toward a common goal - who are a bunch of silly little boys when it suits them and a serious well-oiled machine when it comes time to get the job done. I have learned from each of you, about different music styles, about politics, religion, literature... it's about the game but it's about life, too. You ROCK and I am so happy to know all of you.
This is the week we WILL get Deathwing! I can feel it!


* * * * * * * * * * * * *


... on the story - there will be more of the Interregnums, with cryptic references and snippets of information about past and present events. Some perhaps more "interesting" than others, but all providing a piece of the story.

*************














***************



                A hush falls over the auditorium as the young woman steps forward. She is small in stature but she commands the attention of every person in the room. Her wavy dark-brown hair is tied back from her beautiful face with a green ribbon that matches her gown perfectly. Her hands tremble slightly as she makes her way across the stage.

                She is the last to step up to the podium, the rest of the graduates have already accepted their Diplomas. As she approaches the University President to shake his hand, he motions to her to stop.

                “Ladies and Gentlemen. we have an unusual honor to bestow this evening. Normally, as you know, a Doctorate is only awarded at the Ceremony of the Councils. However, in this case, an exception has been made.”

                The crowd begins to whisper. They know that this is an unprecedented occasion. The family of the dark-eyed, dark-haired new graduate sit very still in the front row of the auditorium, holding each others’ hands. A smiling young woman, with bright red hair and porcelain white skin, sits with the family, as proud as anyone, if not more.

                The University President brings forward a large, framed piece of parchment. He holds it up so everyone in the audience is able to see. The young woman’s eyes fill, and she lowers her head. But she quickly raises it again, startled as she feels something. She glances around, not sure where the strange feeling is coming from. It abates, and she turns to the President.

                He has not noticed her unease, and continues. “May I present... Doctor Elizabeth Thorne.”

                The auditorium erupts into thunderous applause. The entire audience, all standing, cheering. The young woman shuts her eyes, briefly, clamping down on her receptors so she will not be overwhelmed by the emotional tide sweeping over her.

                The new Doctor accepts her Diploma, smiling as she curtseys to the President. She moves to the podium at his nod.

                Looking out over the assembly, she has a moment of uncertainty, she is feeling that strange something again.

                “I am not experienced at speech-making.” She smiles. “However, I wanted to thank my wonderful, supportive family and friends for standing by me all through my career. Without their support and that of the University, I would not be standing here now. Thank you to all who helped me, taught me, put up with me,”  She smiles again at the audience, “I will do my very best not to let you down.”

                A ripple of laughter, a collective sigh runs through the audience. Then, a tall man in the back row stands up. All heads turn to him, he is emanating so much Authority, he is irresistible. The University President looks on, calmly, as he watches the reactions of the crowd.

                “If I may, Doctor?” The deep voice of the newcomer is powerful, yet subdued.

                The young woman, the new Doctor, looks at the blond man in confusion. He seems familiar. His uniform boasts Federation Alliance medals, and a shiny Admiral’s Rank on the collar.

                “Of course, Sir. What can I do for you?”

                The auditorium seethes with curiosity as all heads turn to watch the Admiral approach the stage.

                “I am here to offer you a job, Doctor. Would you care to join us at Federation Headquarters?” His handsome face is serious and yet caring, and again she feels that sense of familiarity.

                She tilts her head, considering. She looks at her family, and her best friend, seated in the front row. Then, she smiles brightly, her face expressing her happiness.

                “I would like nothing better, Admiral. When would you like me to start?”

                The audience laughs, a joyous sound echoing in the chamber as the Admiral makes his way to the stage. The young woman waits for him, and tries to ignore the uncomfortable feeling that she cannot quite identify.



*********************************


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Floor Is Open!