Monday, February 27, 2012

Candle at both ends

Working a story from the beginning and middle at the same time is rather difficult. Since my work was in limbo for so long, some of the details had grown a bit blurred. During the editing of the first few chapters I've been making new notes, on paper! I need to remind myself of the main characters' histories, the various new characters' personalities and loyalties, and to keep a record of the timeline. Perhaps this should have been done prior to beginning again, but that is not how I work.
My style, for the good or not, is to just type what comes into my head. The small details and descriptions can be added at a later time. The important bit is to keep a grip on the story itself and not let later events conflict with what is already known. I don't know how others work - it doesn't matter, really. One has to work in a way that makes sense to oneself. In my case, I am continuing on from where the story had left off many months ago, as well as reviewing and semi-editing the first chapters to post here.

... moving on... next chapter

***************************





Chapter 2

                **********

        

                The Alarm Klaxon sounded, a quick burst that meant we were getting ready to leave orbit. I touched my communicator, the beautiful little brooch in the shape of our Draco.
                “Captain?”

               “Yes, Elizabeth. We have been assigned to follow these Agrints, and find out where they have been hiding all this time. The Admiral is sending a couple of his investigators to join us.”

                After a moment’s hesitation, reaching out to his feelings and receiving nothing more than the normal tension, I said, “All right then, Captain. Will you be able to rest while we wait? It’s still the middle of the night, you know.”

                The amusement came through loud and clear, not only in his voice. “I will be down shortly. I must set things in order here first. You go on to bed, my dear. You have had a busy night yourself.” The amusement gave way to anxiety, anxiety for me.
                My attempt to soothe him was met with gratitude, but it was not very effective. He would continue to be concerned for me, at least until we knew more about what was really happening.

                I went into our lounge to make sure everything was in order. The stars moved slowly outside the huge windows. My plants in their decorative pots sat in rows on the floor, around and near the big comfy sofa. I checked the watering system, then, satisfied for the time being, shut the light and let the door slide shut behind me.

                Our quarters had been the Captain’s alone before we were married. Since I had moved in, I had tried to make the rooms as homelike as possible. There were, of course, plants and greenery in every available place. We now had leafy small topiary by the fireplace, flower pots on the desk, hanging planters by the windows and next to the bed. I even had a flowering fern-like plant hanging in the Refresh. Between my plants, the most comfortable furniture we could replicate, and the mantel and bureau covered with photos and the Captain’s awards, it had become more home to me than anywhere I had ever lived before.

                The bed was calling me. It was past the middle of the night, almost morning, in fact, and I had gotten almost no sleep. Added to the fact of being awakened so abruptly and harshly, it was no wonder my eyelids were so heavy. I had projects and reports waiting for me in my office, there was Lab-work to be overseen, and I needed to be refreshed in case my Captain needed my help. Looking at the timepiece over the desk, I saw that it was Zero Four Thirty. There were a few hours still before I had to be back at work. After one more stretch and some cleansing breaths, I climbed into the bed, burrowed under the covers, and was asleep in seconds.


                 Gently awakened by a familiar feeling, I reached out, sleepily. My body began to tingle with the sensation of my husband’s warmth and desire as they washed over me and through me. The blanket moved, pulled down and off the bed, and I turned over to look at him. Smiling, feeling his anticipation as it increased, I saw that he had already removed his uniform. His perfect body, marred only by a few old scars that I had never asked him about, was as mesmerizing to me as it always had been. The sensations grew stronger as he gazed at me, and I gazed back, noting the motion of the green vines climbing up and around his left forearm. Sitting up, moving to the end of the bed, I knelt and took his hands in mine. He brought my hand to his lips, kissing it softly before letting go of it, to wrap his arms around me, brushing his fingertips down my back. The electric tingle ran up and down my spine as I took his face in my hands, looking directly into those deep grey eyes. As our lips met, the heat spread through my body and my mind, increasing as the kiss deepened.
                Breaking away, breathless, hands still in his soft black hair, I asked, “Do you feel different? Are they manipulating us again? What if...”

                Brushing his lips against my neck, his voice calm and clear, “What ifs will not do us any good, dear Elizabeth. We know that our genetics have been tampered with. We know that the voices in our dream might be the ones who made that possible. We also know that those manipulations have certain... side effects...” His hands moved, one to my backside, gently kneading with his fingertips, the other to my breast, to tease the nipple into hardness. My breath caught, and with a sudden burst of sparkling heat, I found his lips again with my own. I forgot about the vines, I forgot about the Hegrioans and their agendas, I forgot about the fact that we had been put in danger by some faceless menace.

                Our passion increased, the waves of heat crashing over both of us as we explored each other as though for the first time. The bedsheets, so softly silky against my skin. My hands and lips roamed his body, feeling his muscles rippling, tensing and releasing as we moved. His skin flushed, breath quickened. His strong, knowing fingers caressed my body, finding the places that he knew how to touch just so, thrills of electricity following every stroke. His lips moved over me, ever so tenderly kissing, tasting, sharing his feelings with me as I did with him. All else disappeared, all cares forgotten, nothing existed except our need for each other. Our bodies merged as our emotions merged, and we moved together perfectly, more so than ever.

                 We awoke some time later, in a pile on the floor. Both of us stretched, yawned, and as one, reached out for each other. I laid my head on his chest, listening to his breath, feeling his heartbeat.
                “I need to get to work, Captain. But I don’t want to move.”

                The smile was audible as he said, “We must, my dear. You to your Lab, me to the Bridge. There is much to be done today.” He lifted his head, spilling me off of him in the process, to look at the timepiece. “It is Zero Nine Fifteen, Elizabeth. We are both late for our shifts.”

                “Captain. If anyone is entitled to be late every once in a while, it would be you.”

                “Point taken, Doctor Thorne. However,” he stood, holding out his hands to assist me, “we must get this day started. Would you like to go first?” He motioned to the Refresh.

                I frowned, feeling his shift from loving husband to dedicated Captain. He pushed me toward the Refresh, then headed over to the desk to check the terminal for updates.
             

                When I arrived at my office, Jenny was there in the corridor waiting for me.
                “Where have you been? It’s not like you to be late, Liz.”

               I narrowed my eyes at her. “Was there something you needed, friend?”

                She giggled. “Oh, ok I get it.” She smirked at me for a moment, then her beautiful face lit up, her aura growing warm with happiness. “Yes, there is something I need. You. You are supposed to be helping me plan my wedding.”

                She twirled on her heel, and headed over to the window seat. Her bright red hair, framed by the blackness of Space outside, bounced and bobbed as she flung herself down onto the cushions. She glanced around, her intelligent blue eyes taking in the furnishings of the office, the workbench, the analyzer, the big monitor on the wall.

                “You need more plants in here, Liz.”

                “There are plenty out there in the Lab, Jen. I have a lot of work to do today. What was it you needed me for?”

                After I had set my Team their tasks, we spent the next few hours going over her plans. One would think that after almost a year of planning, she would have had everything in order. But she’s not like me. She kept changing her mind about what she was to wear, table settings, everything. Everything, that is, except the flowers. That she did leave to me. However, she and Lieutenant Commander Quinn had set a firm date, everyone had officially accepted the invitations, so she at least couldn’t change that.

                “You do realize, Jen, that we only have one more week to get all of this done and settled?”

                “Yes, of course! Now just tell me which of these two dresses goes better with the formal Fleet Uniforms. And what are we going to do about you?”

                “What about me?”

                “We need to find a dress for you too!”

                I sighed. “Jen, we had a dress picked out for me months ago. What’s changed?”

                It went on and on like that. If she hadn’t been my oldest and best friend in the Universe, I would have gotten up and left.
               

                “Doctor Liz? Lieutenant Commander Quinn here.”
                “Yes, Commander, what can I do for you?”

                Jenny’s face turned an interesting shade of pink when she heard his voice. She shook her head at me, putting her finger over her lips.

                “I’d like to speak to you for a minute, if you have time.”

                “Certainly, Commander, come right down.”

                His emotions were in turmoil, I was having trouble separating them. So many conflicting feelings all at once. I thought I knew what was going on, but of course I had to wait and see him in person to be sure.

                I pulled Jenny up and shooed her out the door.

                “We’ll talk later, Jen. Leave this to me.”


                Lieutenant Commander Mark Quinn, a darkly handsome man and a dedicated Officer, had helped to save my life on more than one occasion. He had stolen my best friend’s heart by simply being who he is, and I approved wholeheartedly of their relationship. It didn’t really matter, of course, but I knew that they both wanted my approval, for their own different reasons. Our Commander Quinn, when he arrived at my office, was extremely agitated and nervous.
                “What is wrong, Commander? What can I do?”

                He stood in front of me, his hands plucking at his uniform jacket. His eyes, deep and kind as a rule, stared down at the marbled floor of the work area. The waves of anxiety came over me as he forced himself to look up.

                “Doctor Liz. You’re Jenny’s best friend.” He hesitated.

                “...yes...?”

                “We are getting married in a week, you know... of course you know, I’m sorry. The thing is, Liz, I mean, can you tell me, that is...?”

                I patted the seat next to me. “Come over here, Mark. Please.”

                The uncertainty and unease were palpable in the room as he slowly stepped over and sat on the window seat next to me. He took a deep breath, his eyes turning everywhere but to me.

                “Mark. My best friend loves you. You love her. What is the problem? You can’t be concerned about how I feel.” I waited a moment, then, “Is it Captain Bianchi you are concerned about?”

                The smallest of nods, a quick glance over at me, then his shoulders drooped.

                “Yes, Ma’am. Though I don’t know why. The Captain has never been anything but encouraging and approving. He’s not found fault with my work. Or has he?”

                There it was, the fear that was underlying the hesitation. This lovely man, this consummate Officer who had never given anyone any reason to doubt his dedication or his performance, was terrified that he was going to let his Captain down. It was a great compliment to me that he felt comfortable enough to speak to me about it. There were so many people who simply could not handle my abilities and would do almost anything to avoid them.

                “You know I shouldn’t say anything to you about my conversations with the Captain, Commander. However, just between you and me, I don’t believe for even a second that he has any complaints about you or your work. And, for that matter, why would he have agreed to stand up for you if he had any problem with you?”

                There is something I can do, but I don’t do it very often. However, this was a case where reassuring words were not going to be enough. One of the perks of being Sympath is that I can share my feelings with whomever I choose. It is a conscious choice, a decision I alone can make when the need arises, or when the mood strikes. Turning my body to him, I took his chin in my hand and forced his head up to look at me directly. We are almost of the same age, in years, though my status often puts me in the position of being the confidante and somewhat of a parental figure.

                “Commander. Mark. You know I would not lie to you nor deceive you. However, it seems that you need extra proof. Look at me, Mark. There is nothing to be nervous about, there is no reason for you to doubt yourself. Trust me on this.”

                My belief in him as an Officer, my trust, my certainty that he was the right man for Jenny, all of that transmitted to him in a stream of soothing warmth. I watched as the change came over his face, the light came back into his eyes. Then his eyes filled, and he lowered his head again.

                “Thank you, Liz. Really. I guess I just needed your particular brand of reassurance.” The bright smile lit up his face. “I should have come down here sooner.” Suddenly he froze. “You won’t tell her I was here?”

                “Absolutely not, Commander Quinn. This is between you and me. I don’t plan to tell anyone about our conversation.”

                He stood, turning to look out the window at the stars moving slowly past. I allowed him to help me up, and surprised him with a hug. He briefly, nervously hugged me back, then pulled away and headed back to the door.

                With one last smile just for me, he let himself out.
               

                Just as the door slid shut behind Commander Quinn, the terminal alarm chimed on the desk. I went over to see what was going on, and was only slightly surprised to see new orders arrive from the Admiral. We had been given several long-term assignments recently, so I hadn’t been expecting anything new for a while. It had to be something important, to add into our already bursting schedule, so I sat down to review the mission.
                It seemed that there was yet another Colony that I hadn’t ever heard of, needing our assistance with a global crisis. Only this time, it wasn’t an out of the way planet like Morgos. It was a Colony Unit, one of the very few that were still in operation. I had thought for many years that all of the old Units had been decommissioned. Apparently they were not. This one, Unit Six, was in orbit around, of all planets, Neptune. In our very own Solar System. Why in the Universe anyone would have thought to put a Colony in orbit around an eccentric gas planet with a myriad of moons, not to mention the strange magnetic winds, was beyond my comprehension. It must have been quite a feat of Engineering to get the Unit to function properly at a reasonable altitude with all that going on. Why bother, I wondered, when there are so many more conducive locations? Why indeed.

                The issue at hand seemed to be the hydro-pods. For some as yet unknown reason, all of the pods had begun forming layers of algae. An unfamiliar, unknown algae-like growth, that is. I sighed. Of course. So many of our jobs are like that. These growths were probably a result of someone changing the wrong light bulb or turning the temperature of the water too high. The cause didn’t matter, though, as the mission was for us to get rid of the growth in a safe and permanent fashion, after determining the exact cause, of course. I replied to the message from Headquarters with an affirmative, and requested samples and whatever pictures or video were available.

                It was only then that I realized that I wasn’t quite sure where we were. Being in my Lab most of the time, working on my own projects, I don’t always pay attention to the movement of the Fleet. My concern is for the safety and well-being of the Crew, and most especially for my Captain. My most important daily job for the Federation and the Draco is to make sure that the Lab is performing correctly, that my trees are producing the correct amount of Oxygen, that the circulation system is distributing the proper ratio of that Oxygen to the Ship. But the daily crew missions do not affect me, and Federation business is not mine, most of the time.

                However, I knew that the Draco had been sent to surreptitiously follow the Agrints to wherever they were hiding. I did not have to concern myself with that aspect. The couriers sent to bring us our supplies would find us, when they could do so safely. What I did have to do was to check on my Team, and let them know that they would have another task piled onto their already full plates.

                “Ensign Parker. Ensign Miller. Please join me.”

                “Yes, Doctor!”

                They arrived quickly, both men straightening their lab coats as they entered my office and stopped in front of my desk. Their calm confidence was always an assurance to me. And I knew I could trust both of them, not only to do their jobs perfectly, but to be loyal, reliable, honest assistants. I couldn’t have asked for a better Team.

                “OK, you two, we have another assignment. I have sent the available data to your workstations. You may decide which of you will do which research, but we will need to find out about this Colony Unit Six and its environment. Perhaps I will do a bit of digging into its history as well.”

                They both looked at me, trying to hide their concern. They knew that I had been in danger on our last mission involving an obscure Colony. They also knew that I had been in even greater danger during another mission to a supposedly peaceful planet that had turned out to have an unusual history. I stared back at them, looking from one to the other. Just the slightest waft of calming warmth from me was enough to reassure them, and they both turned back to the Lab door.

                “We’ll get on it, Doctor. Will you be joining us?”

                “Soon, Mr. Parker.”

                The door slid smoothly shut behind them as they disappeared back into the Lab. I looked around me at the mostly blank walls, the stark whiteness interrupted only by the large monitor behind my workstation, and the picture windows opposite my desk.

                “Perhaps I should indeed put some more plants in here.”

                I jumped out of my chair as a voice came over my communicator.

                “Perhaps you should.”

                “Captain?”

                “Just a warning, Elizabeth. We will be entering Hyperspace shortly. Your samples will have to wait.”

                Of course he would know about my transmission.

                “Not a problem, Captain. It can wait. We have research we can do in the meantime. Thank you for the warning, you know how the sudden Alarms affect me.” My skin began to grow tingly with my husband’s attention. I closed my eyes, concentrating on the warmth flowing through us both. He did know me so well.  
    
            When the Alarm Klaxons went off it usually meant that the Draco was either in danger or headed into danger. I much preferred to have a bit of warning. And any excuse is a good excuse to share feelings with my Captain.

 ****************************





No comments:

Post a Comment

The Floor Is Open!